Global Health in a Time of Emergency
Andrew Lakoff 2017 Tigard 363.3253 LAK
Prescient but prolix. Too many words and "either/or"s describing few details.
- p73 table 3.1 Regimes of global health, comparisons
- (WHO, UN) vs Humanitarian Biomedicine (Médecins Sans Frontières, Gates Foundation)
- p74 WHO smallpox eradication in 1977
p118 Ch 5 H5N1 avian influenza at Rotterdam biosafety level 3 lab
- mutation testing on ferrets, ten repetitions via transferred nasal droplets
- WHO claimed only a matter of time until human pandemic outbreak, others demurred
- December 2011 NSABB National Science Advisory Board on Biosecurity recommended witholding publication of methods.
- p153 Laurie Garrett interviews Hans Rosling about Ebola in West Africa: "If you want to blame somebody for this epidemic, blame me. It was my mistake"